It can be such fun hosting a holiday party for family and friends. However, when it comes to the clean-up afterwards — that’s not as much fun. These simple party clean-up tips will help make the task easier for you and keep you ahead of all the chaos.
Party Clean-up Tips
- Start with a clean house before the party. It’s much easier to clean things up if you begin with a clean house, tidy kitchen and empty dishwasher.
- Disposable plates, cups and flatware make clean-up easier. Be sure to choose items that can be recycled. And just because it’s disposable, doesn’t mean it can’t be chic. There are many beautiful designs available. To keep it simple and stylish, opt for clear plastic. If you want to dress things up even more, don’t be afraid to mix plastic dishware with your favorite china serving dishes.
- Use table cloths. If opting for linen tablecloths, make sure they are machine washable.
- Have plenty of coasters around for guests to set their drinks on. To make sure you have enough, disposable coasters can be purchased in packs of 50 or more.
- Have plenty of garbage bags on hand to line garbage cans. Place several cans throughout the house where they can easily be seen. This will cut down on your cleaning time by providing guests with a quick place to toss napkins and such when they’re done with them.
- Stay on top of the cleaning during the party by tackling spills as they happen. Mix white vinegar, dish soap and water in a spray bottle so it’s handy just in case you need it.
- As the party begins to wind down, start some simple cleanups before all your guests have left. This not only gives a subtle signal that the party is coming to an end, it also gets you ahead on the cleanup. And you may have offers of help.
- Quickly go through the house with a garbage bag to pick up any trash or disposable items. To make separating easy, color code your bags – black for trash and white for recycling. Use a tray or plastic bin to collect any items that will go in the dishwasher or be hand washed.
- If you don’t want to keep any leftovers, offer them to your guests. Make sure you have plenty of plastic containers, aluminum foil, or large plastic bags on hand ready for leftovers.
- After your guests leave, it’s time for the serious cleanup to begin. Start with any spills you might have missed during the party. You want to deal with these before they become stains. Look for watermarks on furniture, too.
With these party cleanup tips, you can breathe a sigh of relief and get a good night’s rest. In the morning you won’t have to face a messy party aftermath. Instead, you will wake up to a clean house and only a few small tasks to deal with. When all else fails, call Markatos Services Inc. Equipped to handle any size mess, we will deep clean your home from top to bottom. If you ask me, that’s a great way to kick off the New Year right! Get a fresh clean start on 2014!
Markatos Services Inc. is a family owned and operated business. We provide high quality maintenance services to residential homes and commercial businesses in New Castle County, Delaware and Delaware County, Pennsylvania. Markatos Services Inc. has demonstrated the meaning of thoroughness, dependability and consistency since 1983.
Find us on facebook!